There’s a big shift in the way people work towards self-employment and entrepreneurship in the UK and around the world.
Coconut is a current account that takes care of accounting and tax. It’s designed specifically for freelancers, self-employed people and small business owners.
We launched our first product in January 2018. We’re at an exciting point in our journey having opened our first 5,000 current accounts. Our mission is to free millions of people around the world from business admin by combining banking and accounting into one simple product.
Our current account and core technology are loved by our customers. Our product is the first of its kind, taking transaction data and automating tax treatments with growing accuracy whilst offering guidance about tax rules. The next phase is to connect customers to world-class accounting services through the app so that they can ask questions or get their accounts reviewed and filed. We want our customers to have everything they need to manage their business in one place.
In order to achieve this, we are looking for a highly driven Accounting Lead to help build and execute our processes for offering accounting services to customers. We plan to deliver this with a mix of in-house resource and partners to transform how our customers experience accounting and tax submissions.
We are looking for an expert in self-employed and small business accounting with a passion for technology. You’ve learned your craft in a fast paced accountancy role, servicing a high-volume of customers and understand the accounting and tax filing process innately. But you love technology and what it can do for people and have always had much bigger ambitions to build something totally new and transformative for your clients.
This is in opportunity to help build a ground-breaking accounting function from scratch supported by a transformative technology platform. You’ll work alongside a product team that is creating highly disruptive and accounting technology. You will service our customers supporting with their accounting needs and design processes to do this. You will use your technical experience, love of customer service and fascination for technology to transform how customers experience accounting and tax.
A bit about you
- You’re a qualified accountant and have extensive experience in a practice that services a high volume of customers. Bonus: you’ve built and managed a team of accountants.
- You’ve worked directly with freelancers, contractors and owner managed businesses completing and filing their accounts and tax filings.
- You LOVE technology and fintech and you dream of ways to make accounting and tax more efficient.
- You understand the friction within the accounting process and you have ideas about how accounting as a service can be made more efficient for customers.
- You are eager to please the customer.
- You are a natural communicator both verbally and in writing (e.g. region specific language skills) – with the ability to connect with different levels of seniority internally and complex accounting terms/functions to non-professionals externally
- You have a curious mind and strive to help create a genuinely impactful product for accountants and support Coconut’s mission.
- You're positive, tenacious, energetic and are exceptional at prioritisation and working in an environment where you are driving the outcomes.
- You’re highly organised and excellent planning and time-management skills, as well as the ability to multitask and lead several projects in a fast paced environment
- You will play a pivotal role in driving new revenue, so commercial responsibility is something you enjoy.
- Professional accounting qualification.
- 5yrs+ accounting experience.
- Deep understanding of small business & self employed accounting and tax.
- You have designed, improved and scaled accounting functions.
- You appreciate the user experience and have strong knowledge of multiple financial accounting systems.
- You have a deep seated frustration with inefficiency and understand how technology can drive out manual processes.
- You’re highly numerate and comfortable interrogating data.
- You can take complete ownership of your metrics and demonstrate strategic decision making abilities
- You’re able to create financial policies and procedures across the business
- Be a member of a small growing team that is building something exceptional
- Competitive salary + options available
- Company pension with matched contributions
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Flexible and remote working potential
- Office very close to Old Street
- Work environment that values creativity, personal growth and collaboration
- Continuous learning and development: you will be challenged with lots of responsibility and exciting projects